The Department for the Economy (DfE) was established in May 2016. Its responsibilities include:
- wider economic policy, including specific areas like Energy, Tourism and Telecoms
- the operation of a range of employment and skills programmes
- oversight and funding of the further and higher education sectors
- various aspects of employment law
- the management and operation of various EU funding programmes
The Departmental Board is chaired by the Permanent Secretary and manages the Department within the strategic policy and resources framework set by the Minister for the Economy. It supports the Permanent Secretary by providing collective leadership and taking ownership of the Department’s performance.
The Department’s Deputy Secretaries are members of the Board and are responsible for the following groups:
- International & Economic Relations
- Economic Strategy
- Management Services and Regulation
- Skills and Education
Why the DfE Departmental Board is supporting Boardroom Apprentice
To provide experience to someone who would not otherwise be afforded that opportunity and to assist in ensuring that there is a diverse and sustainable pool of capable board-ready candidates for public appointment which is more reflective of our society.
Location of Board and Committee Meetings
Currently virtual. Usually in Netherleigh, Massey Avenue, Belfast.
Frequency and timing of board/committee meetings
The fourth Thursday every month, except December where the date is decided nearer the time, from 10.30 to 12.30. There is a break in July.
Date of Board Meetings (September 2022 – August 2023)
29 September 2022
27 October 2022
24 November 2022
TBD December 2022
26 January 2023
24 February 2023
30 March 2023
27 April 2023
25 May 2023
29 June 2023
31 August 2023
Committee of the Boards and meeting dates (September 2022 – August 2023)