The Department for Infrastructure (DfI) is one of nine Northern Ireland Departments. The main responsibilities of the Department are:
- regional strategic planning and development policy;
- transport strategy and sustainable transport policy;
- public transport policy and performance;
- road safety and vehicle regulation policy, including strategies to reduce the number of people killed or seriously injured on our roads;
- driver and operator licensing and driver and vehicle testing;
- provision and maintenance of all public roads;
- certain policy and support work for air and sea ports;
- river and sea defence maintenance and the construction of flood alleviation schemes;
- provision of flood maps and risk information; and
- policy on water and sewerage services and management of the Department’s shareholder interest in Northern Ireland Water.
The Department operates under the direction and control of the Minister for Infrastructure. Civil Servants are accountable to the Minister and the Minister is accountable to the Assembly.
The Permanent Secretary, Katrina Godfrey, is the Accounting Officer for the Department and the Minister’s principal adviser.
The Departmental Board (the Board) provides corporate leadership to the organisation as a whole; takes responsibility for the Department’s performance; and provides support to the Permanent Secretary, who provides advice to the Minister.
Why Department for Infrastructure Departmental Board is supporting Boardroom Apprentice
To provide boardroom experience to participants and facilitate the transfer of knowledge, skills and experience as well as helping to address under-representation and lack of diversity in government public appointments.
Location of Board and Committee Meetings
Currently via video conference but normally Clarence Court, Adelaide Street, Belfast and occasionally off-site within NI.
Frequency and timing of board/committee meetings
Board and Committee meetings are held bi-monthly. Meetings take place usually on the last Tuesday of the month from 10.00 to 13.00. Audit committee meeting take place on the 2nd Wednesday from 10:30-13:00.
Date of Board Meetings (September 2022 – August 2023)
Meetings have been confirmed for:
- Tuesday 27th September 2022
- Tuesday 29th November 2022
Meeting dates for 2023 have not yet been agreed but they are usually on the 3rd Tuesday in January, March, May and July.
Committee of the Boards and meeting dates (September 2022 – August 2023)
Audit Committee dates are:
- Thursday 15th September 2022
- Wednesday 16th November 2022
Meeting dates for 2023 have not been agreed but they are usually on the 2nd Wednesday in February, May and June.