Close your eyes and think of a city or a place that is full of life and energy. That’s what Honeycomb Group is aiming to do for every area we serve through the work we do. Happy homes mean thriving people who are building stronger communities and growing the local economy. We want to leave every place better than it was before we got there.
Based in Stoke-on-Trent, The Honeycomb Group is a team of social-minded brands championing happy homes across North Staffordshire, East Cheshire and Derbyshire by providing services and support that help people feel secure, connected and confident.
• Staffs Housing is a leader in providing quality affordable housing to Staffordshire, Cheshire and the surrounding areas, ensuring there are no barriers to home-seekers finding a place they’re proud to call home.
• Revival is the local home improvement and support specialist, providing Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire and surrounding areas trusted home repairs, and a range of friendly wellbeing support to ensure everyone is happy in a home they love.
• Glow is a charity on a mission to end relationship abuse, campaigning for change and providing support throughout Staffordshire, Derbyshire and its surrounding areas. Through a full-circle approach, Glow seeks to address the issues from every angle, ensuring that no member of the community is vulnerable to an abusive relationship.
• Concrete is a local charity, support network and campaigner leading the fight to erase homelessness within Staffordshire, East Cheshire and its surrounding areas. Through a community-led approach, Concrete helps those without a plan, without a voice and without a home to build concrete futures by tackling the underlying issues that keep people from finding and securing a home of their own.
Each of our brands tackle the social issues that can isolate people from a happy home.
Over the next two years Honeycomb Group is on a journey that will see us strengthen our operational and financial capability. With a newly appointed Chief Executive and business strategy, alongside an improvement programme that will provide a launchpad for growth, we are well positioned and eager to play an increasingly important role in the region. We’re looking for a board member who is equally motivated by social change and the power of a happy home.
Why the Honeycomb Group is supporting Boardroom Apprentice
A key driver for us wanting to host a Boardroom Apprentice is that we are genuinely looking for diversity of thought in our Boardroom. Our business is diverse and our customer base has complex needs – so we need people with different life-experiences and views to come to the table to provide advice and scrutiny. With a new CEO and new strategy going live next year, Honeycomb Group has entered a different chapter in its journey. We want new people to be part of shaping and delivering that chapter- people with a passion for changing places.
The Boardroom Apprentice programme is entirely aligned to our organisation’s purpose and values. We aim to create a vibrant region by not only investing in homes, but also by investing in people – so providing this opportunity to someone who otherwise would struggle to gain boardroom experience is an exciting prospect.
For the candidate we can offer an incredibly supportive environment, with a motivated Board, Exec and operational teams. Our current Board members are experienced and are eager to share that knowledge with a Boardroom Apprentice to help them get started on their non-exec career. As a smaller business that still has a strong connection to the community we serve, you will have a genuine opportunity to shape our organisation and change the lives of people living in North Staffordshire, East Cheshire and Derbyshire.
Stoke-on-Trent is an important area of focus for the Levelling Up agenda and so we also feel that our geographic position is also a great fit for a Boardroom Apprentice. Whilst we know that we can’t specify who our apprentice is, we would look to promote the opportunity regionally to try and attract someone who is connected to the area. This will promote the Levelling Up agenda and demonstrate how it is working in action.
Location of Board and Committee Meetings
Hybrid (MS Teams and Stoke-on-Trent)
Frequency and timing of board/committee meetings
6 board meetings a year (Thursdays 5.00pm – 7.00pm)
2-3 strategy away days a year (Wednesday/ Thursday 2.00pm – 7.00pm)
Date of Board Meetings (January 2024 – December 2024)
Date of board meetings (estimated dates only) 18 January 14 March 2 May 27 June 22 August 19 September (also AGM) 21 November Strategy away day (estimated dates only) 25 April 4 July 10 October
Committee of the Boards and meeting dates (January 2024 – December 2024)
Committee of the board meetings
(estimated dates only)
• Audit & Risk Committee (Thursdays 5.00pm -7.00pm)
i. 1 February
ii. 16 May
iii. 11 July
iv. 10 October
• Customer Services Committee (Thursdays 5.00pm -7.00pm)
i. 7 March
ii. 20 June
iii. 5 September
iv. 7 November
• Commercial Committee (Thursdays 5.00pm -7.00pm)
i. 21 March
ii. 27 June
iii. 26 September
iv. 12 December